Overview of Dentistry
It is worth noting that in the quest for finding the best dentist to suit your particular needs, a clear understanding of the diverse fields in dentistry. A better grasp of the different fields that exist will place an individual at a better place of finding the best dentist for their needs.
Generally, it is recommended to begin with either a family or general dentist. The license that has been issued to a general dentist provides them with the mandate to perform two main tasks. The first one involves the diagnosis of a variety of dental issues as well as other oral conditions while the second mandate is the development of treatment plans for the diagnosed conditions. If they find it to be necessary and appropriate, the family dentist will refer you to a dental practitioner who is more specialised. This is based on the circumstances of each case and this referral will be based on what the general dentist deems to be the best option for the client. The qualified dentists can be either doctors of dental surgery on the one hand or doctors of dental medicine on the other hand. The referral will also be influenced by this.
Factors To Be Considered
Some of the factors that should be considered when looking for the best dentist to cater for your needs include:
- Seek information in relation to the duration that the operation has been in practice. The longer the practice, the better the option due to the added advantage of experience.
- Seek information that relates to the scope of training that the dentist has undergone and the experience that they possess in the performance of clinical procedures. It is important to note that not every dentist has been trained in the field of cosmetic dentistry in case this is the service that is being sought. Further to this, some procedures require different needs, such as a veneer on the anterior porcelain which requires both an aesthetic and functional need.
- In the event that the dentist does not perform certain procedures which you seek, it is important to ask for their preferred choice of reference as they are in a better position to provide this.
- It is important to familiarise yourself with all the pros and cons of all the options that are available for solving a concern of the cosmetic surgery to be undertaken. This is critical in helping one choose the option which they feel meets their needs best.
- Seek information about the type of the emergency care services available such as whether the dentist works during weekends or after hours.
- Ask about the options that are offered to ensure that the client is comfortable. This includes amenities such as music for relaxation, heating pads or the administration of nitrous oxide as a pre-medication.
- Consider whether dental lasers can be used as an alternative for the drilling tools that were common traditionally such as scalpels and other tooth drilling equipment.
- You might want to see photos of the previous patients that have been handled by the dentist, before and after the surgery. This should however be done with strict respect to the privacy and confidentiality of the previous patients.
- Seek a determination of the total costs that will be needed for the whole operation, ranging from the service fees, cots of the anaesthesia and other costs that will be required to facilitate the process.
- It is also important to find out the location of the offices of the dentist.
- Find out information about the professionalism of the dentist and the team. This is especially critical if you plan on seeking the services offered on a long term basis.
- Seek general advice from friends and family members on the issue.
General Services Offered
The treatment that is provided by dentists is offered alongside the help from dental assistants and oral hygienists. They provide an integral assistance to the final services that are offered and provided. The role of a dental hygienist is to provide the cleaning of the dentals that is professional and has attained the best standard possible. The designation of the dental hygienist can be either as a Registered Dental Hygienist commonly abbreviated as RDH or a Registered Dental Hygienist with Extended Functions, abbreviated as RDHEF.
The help that may be offered by a dental assistant to the dentist during a surgery may include:
- Setting up of the anaesthesia to be used for the surgery
- Exposing and developing the radiographs from the operation
- General roles that may be required by the dentist over the course of the operation